Thursday, July 22, 2010

..my little black dress..

 Usually about once every week or two, I find myself reaching for the same dress in my closet.  It's the one with a interesting history, the one that fits so perfectly, and the one that is ever so versatile, of course my LBD.  
I actually bought this dress for Halloween 2004.  I went as Holly Golightly and the dress was actually a little bit too big then.  I bought it at the best vintage shop that Fort Smith ever knew, Old Vogue, which was owned by a lovely woman who obviously loved old things as much as I do now.  Unfortunately, Old Vogue has long since closed its doors, but I will always remember sifting through those great vintage clothes and wishing I had the guts to wear them. I only have one other thing from there, a cool '60s sweater that I need to get out and do a few repairs to. 
Luckily, I have developed a tiny bit more curves since 2004, and this dress now fits like it is meant to.  I have contemplated using it to make a pattern for more dresses, but have yet to get around to it.  It has probably seen better days.  I have made many repairs through the years so it will eventually be disassembled and moved on to that higher purpose.
Until it does fall apart I will keep wearing it.  Right now my favorite thing to wear with it is this vintage Dior belt that I got at an estate sale, my goto Melani heels, and whatever scarf that I am feeling at the moment.  Today I also threw in this funny pair of '70s sunnies that I got a few weeks ago.
For those of you who don't know the area, these pics were taken behind one of the local WalMarts right in the middle of town. I was really surprised at what a good location it turned out to be.  And this is the first run with the camera that my Grandpa John gave me (thanks!), and it seems to be handling well!

2 comments:

  1. maybe we should open up a new old vogue shop?i love that old water tower,looks like its out in the middle of nowhere,wait a minute...,it is out in the middle of nowhere,ft. smith,hehe.i hope you keep doin this vintage thing,it is very cool,and you are just right for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would absolutely love to open up a vintage shop. Fort Smith really needs a good one. And I actually enjoy scouting for awesome old stuff. It feels like treasure hunting.

    ReplyDelete